rpix86 - Main Page
What is rpix86?
rpix86 is a PC emulator for the Raspberry Pi computer. Its purpose is to allow you to run old DOS games on your RPi. It is based on the DSx86 PC emulator for Nintendo DS game console. I began porting DSx86 to Raspberry Pi in February 2013, and the first version was released in March. See my blog for information about the current status of rpix86.
What hardware it emulates?
The current status of the emulation is as follows:
- CPU: 80486 processor, including the protected mode features (for running DOS4GW games) but without virtual memory support. The emulation runs at a speed of around 20MHz 80486 (which equals a 40MHz 80386) machine.
- Memory: 640KB of low memory, 4MB of EMS memory and 16MB of XMS memory.
- Super-VGA graphics, with a maximum resolution of 640x480 with 256 colors.
- SoundBlaster 2.0 (including AdLib-compatible FM sounds) sound card.
- US keyboard.
- Two-button mouse.
- Joystick (since version 0.04)
- Roland MPU-401 MIDI interface (since version 0.04)
- COM1 serial port (since version 0.06)
- COM2 serial port (since version 0.10)
If you have any comments or questions about rpix86, feel free to send me email. To avoid spam I don't have a mailto link in here, instead I give you this hint: My email address is simply my first name at my domain name. Domain name meaning "patrickaalto.com".
If you feel like showing your appreciation for my work on rpix86, feel free to donate some small sum to me. Or feel free not to donate anything, as I am not working on rpix86 to make money, it is just my hobby project. Also, any amount you donate will NOT have any effect on how many improvements I do to rpix86, how fast I release new versions, or anything like that. Rather the opposite, any money you donate I will probably spend on new Blu-Ray movies or things like that, and watching them will take time away from my coding rpix86! Just so you know.. :-)